Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Reading Workshop Mentor Text-Charlie Anderson

Happy Sunday! It's time to spend more money link up with Collaboration Cuties for their Must Read Mentor Text linky!


This week's topic is language arts. One of my favorite places to use mentor texts.

Charlie Anderson
Charlie Anderson by Barbara Abercrombie is an adorable story about two little girls who own a cat named Charlie. The girls are always sad when they have to leave Charlie with their mom on the weekends. They have to visit their dad in the city. One night Charlie doesn't come home. The girls become very concerned and end up discovering a secret about Charlie. I won't ruin the ending for you, but it is a surprise when you first hear it!

I love using this book to teach Questioning and Synthesizing. The surprise ending is perfect for introducing students to synthesizing. Just in case you haven't picked it up before, here is a freebie that I use with my kiddos when I teach synthesizing.




What are your favorite Mentor Texts to teaching Synthesizing? I'd love to hear what you use!

9 comments:

  1. I absolutely just downloaded that freebie (and left you some feedback). I have never seen synthesizing put so succinctly. Can't wait to use. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! What a great book - and a great lesson!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Charlie Anderson-such a great book! Thanks so much for sharing a freebie! Can't wait to use it!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this book! I will have to check it out! Thank you for the freebie! This is the perfect organizer for helping them to understand it!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have this book in my library, but I've never read it! Thanks for sharing how you use it.
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  6. What?!!! Really...not going to share the ending?!!!!
    I guess I'll have to add it to my list!
    Great freebie! Thanks!
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of this book but I have to find and read it now because you did not give us the surprise ending!!! Thanks for the freebie - that will be super helpful for my students.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am definitely going to get this book, thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete