Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Peek at My Week and a Mentor Text Suggestion

Well, my weekend is flying by...I can't believe it is already Sunday! I'm linking up with Jennifer at Mrs. Laffin's Laughings and the lovely ladies from Collaboration Cuties.

This week is going to be an adjustment for me. My student teacher (who is doing a wonderful job) will be picking up another subject. That will mean three for her (Bible, Social Studies, and Language) and three for me (Math Workshop, Reading Workshop, and Writing Workshop.) She isn't my first student teacher so I know how it feels to "not" teach, but it is still a weird feeling.

On Monday this week my kiddos and I will start doing Mentor Sentences. I am really looking forward to introducing this class to the art of "noticing." We use it a lot in Writing Workshop-so doing it with grammar is a natural addition for me.

My kiddos and I will be celebrating National Talk Like a Pirate Day on Thursday. My students and I will celebrate this fun day by creating our very own eye patches. We will read a wonderful story that I shared with you two weeks ago, and we will be doing some fun free activities I found on TPT. You can check them out here. You can also check out this linky party at Frog Spot to get more ideas. I am planning on doing my first linky party to celebrate Talk Like a Pirate Day.

If you plan to do something fun with your kiddos to celebrate I'd love to have you link up! (Is it wrong to admit that I am nervous that no one will join?)

I'm also excited to share a science mentor text with you, Everything Volcanoes and Earthquakes. I just purchased four copies of this text from Scholastic. I love the National Geographic for Kids Everything Series.
National Geographic Kids Everything Volcanoes and Earthquakes: Earthshaking photos, facts, and fun!

This series presents facts in a fun and engaging way. I love using these books to teach text features as well as content. I'm excited to have four copies...but I think I may order enough so every pair of students can have a book. Good thing I'm a Red Apple Teacher.



What are you up to this week?


7 comments:

  1. I love these National Geographic books! I have one for weather and I'm excited to see how I can use it in the upcoming weeks!!

    Your Pirate Party sounds fun!! I'm going to have to stop back by to see what everyone is doing!!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love National Geographic books. We also get National Geographic magazine as our classroom magazine. I prefer it over Time for Kids or Scholastic news because the articles are longer and in my opinion much better written. It's such a great source for kids for Science! Even though I only teach LA and SS, I do try and read science articles in class to help out in any way that I can.

    Thanks for sharing,
    My Shoe String Life
    Follow Me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on being worried about creating a linky! I've had a few ideas that I never did, just because I was worried no one would join!

    Now I need to start thinking about something fun for talk like a pirate day!

    Sarah
    MissKinBK

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know there even was such a thing as National Talk Like a Pirate Day! Shiver me timbers! :)

    Thanks for linking up! (And as for your linky...if you build it, they will come! :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  5. My students go to another teacher for science, but I have purchased books from this National Geographic series for my classroom library. Great idea to use them to help with identifying text features!

    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the book recommendation. That book will fit in nicely with our science study. And thanks for the reminder about mentor sentences. That would be a perfect addition to my plans this week as I begin to introduce Writers' Workshop. I love how sweet bloggers provide suggestions and support just by chatting about their week. You made my day!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to hear how Mentor Sentences go in your classroom - I don't think we will be ready to start them for another week or so :(
    I want to celebrate National Talk Like a Pirate day - but we have a field trip in the morning - people might notice a group of pirate talking students a little too much! Hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete