Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Student Motivation Bubbles=Prizes, and Blogs by Grade

It is Saturday and I am off to school for our Spring Family Fun Fair. It makes for a long week, but the kids/families love seeing us in a "fun" atmosphere. Before I head out the door, I wanted to share something great that I discovered at Caffeine and Lesson Plans.

I don't know about you, but I am always on the lookout for fellow bloggers that are teaching my grade level (or close to my grade level) to follow. I've gotten some great freebies and have picked up some fantastic new ideas to use in my classroom from them. Mandy made a links page where you can add your blog by grade, and also discover other blogs from other grades. Be sure to check it out and add your link!


Since it is Saturday, I also want to link up with Joanne at Head Over Heels for Teaching.

Last week I shared about my clip chart and how I use it a little bit differently than others by incorporating points to keep my kiddos motivated. You can read more about it here if you missed it. One of the key rewards system that I use is my bubble charts.


As I shared last week, the students receive bubbles based on where they end up on the clip chart for the day. They also receive bubbles (up to five) from each special teacher. The special teachers appreciate being able to use my behavior system to encourage them to success.

When the students have completed a bubble chart they place it on my desk and receive a new one. I write down their bubbles on a chart in my binder. The students can choose to save their bubbles for a larger prize, or "cash" them in for a smaller one. It is a good lesson for some who always "spend" and then they are unable to do the "bigger" prizes with their friends because they spent all their bubbles. It is also very sweet because some of my kiddos ask if they can let their friends borrow bubbles so they don't miss out. You can see my prize breakdown below or download it here along with a copy of the bubble charts. (The charts are from an old magazine, but it says it can be copied without contacting the publisher so I don't mind sharing it here, but please be sure to share it, not sell it.)

The students work hard to earn bubbles, and the prizes they can earn still motivate them even now with the weather warming up!

What do you use to motivate your kids this time of year? Happy Saturday everyone!

5 comments:

  1. I love that you have students who offer to give bubbles so others don't miss out- such sweet kids! I bet your students get so excited to pick out their prizes- what a fun idea!
    Aylin

    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when kids are so unselfish-sweet! I like your system because you offer incentives for individuals and groups-creating that community! I bet lunch with you is the most popular!!! Thanks Bethany for linking up and sharing!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun at the Family Fun Fair! I'm off to the ball game with our students tonight! It does make for a long week, but I do love seeing them outside the school setting. Their personalities really shine when they are in a 'fun' environment. I hope to hear how your night went!

    I linked up with Caffeine and Lessons Plans...thanks for the suggestion!

    Wendy
    Read With Me ABC

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great discovery over at Caffeine and Lesson Plans. Thanks for sharing. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining the blogs by grade. :) I love reading all teaching blogs, but especially those at my grade level. It's fun to see what other teachers are doing with the standards!

    Mandy
    Caffeine and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete