Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Science Mentor Text-Gee Whiz!

Happy Sunday! I don't know about you, but it has been super hot where I am! I am so thankful for my air conditioners! I hope you have all been able to stay cool this week!

Since it is Sunday, I am linking up with Collaboration Cuties for their wonderful Must Read Mentor Text linky. I've learned about some fabulous books through this linky. It's like finding a new treasure for the classroom!


This week's topic is science, so today I want to share a book with you that my boys adore. Gee Whiz! It's All about Pee by Susan Goodman.

Gee Whiz! It's All about Pee

I have this book out in my classroom when we are studying our human body unit. It isn't a book that I read as a read aloud, but it is a book that I keep on my side table. The students are able to grab these books whenever they have free time or during Reading Workshop. Every year, I have at least one student ask me if they know this book is in the pile...they can't believe a teacher would encourage them to read something so weird.

 

Even though I don't read it to the kids there's a lot of interesting information in the book. It makes our study of an uncomfortable topic (for many students) funny and enjoyable. As we study the different body systems, students are able to share the things they have learned from our "side-table" books. Believe me this book creates interesting conversations! I love it because it shares facts in a fun way, and it gets my boys interested in our topic. 


While I was looking for pictures of this book to put in this post I discovered that Susan Goodman has a great website with teacher lesson plans and activities for some of her books. You can visit her website here.

What Mentor Texts do you use to grab your students attention?

7 comments:

  1. LOL! I started reading this and I raised my eyebrows like whaaaaat? Then I started laughing. This is awesome! I bet the boys do love it! Now I know there is a book about pee and poop. Too funny!!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine some of the conversations that accompany this book. Hilarious!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book too and its companion The Truth About Poop and you're right the kids LOVE them! They think they're getting away with something gross in the classroom! haha Thanks for sharing the website-I didn't know about that!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my heavens. I bet this sparks some conversation, for sure! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my gosh! I just dropped my daughter off at camp (Texas) and the cabin had no A/C which I knew so we brought fans. Who knew that they wouldn't have outlets in the cabin?!!! Lovin' my a/c.
    What a great book to just leave around! I'm cracking up because I can so see my 5th graders whispering about the book! :)
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny! I'm sure your students get a kick out of this book. The boy next door would love this book, I will have to pass this recommendation on to his mom.
    Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete