Pages

Sunday, November 24, 2013

How Many Days to America-Mentor Text

Happy Sunday before Thanksgiving! As busy as this time of year is, I really do love it. I love the extra time we have to celebrate with friends and family. I love that we have a day that reminds us to be thankful for the little things.

Because I teach in a very "middle class" area. I like to remind my students to be thankful for all the little things as well. To help them with this I like to share a book with them this time of year by Eve Bunting. How Many Days to America? A Thanksgiving Story is a wonderful book to use during Reading Workshop.
 How Many Days to America?: A Thanksgiving Story

This book tells the story of a family leaving their country and heading to America by boat. They are trying to escape their home country because "they don't think the same way." The book ends with the family making it to America on Thanksgiving Day.

 

It lends itself to all types of reading skills, inferring, questioning, connections, etc. I like to use this book with my students in a lesson called "Reading is Thinking." This is where my students are encouraged to think using all the skills we have taught them, not just the skill we are focused on for the week.
 
 What are your favorite social studies mentor text to share this time of year? Do you have a favorite informational Thanksgiving book you share with your class? Be sure to head over to Collaboration Cuties to grab some new mentor text suggestions! (Just think, with Amazon's cyber Monday sale you can pick up some new books for a great price! Anyone else have a cart waiting for the sale?)



4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this book before, but I LOVE Eve Bunting! I'll have to add it to my ever-growing book list :)

    I know what you mean about trying to get your students to be thankful for the many small blessings they enjoy each day. We have been working on spontaneously listing things we're thankful for - and it's amazing how many things they can think of when they sit down and really think. Hopefully it is working to build an attitude of gratitude in my kiddos :)

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great book and shows a different perspective! It's definitely great for reading workshop! I'm so glad you linked it up!

    Thanks for the reminder about cyber Monday! I didn't even think about that with Amazon! Oh boy! This could be trouble!

    Have a great week!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book- I like to share a little background with them about Cuba (where the family is leaving) and how things still aren't so great there- they think everything happens "in the past" but the Cuba boat people weren't happening too long ago!
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete